The Paranormal Guide

It's a weird, weird world

Forums

Forum Home > Victoria > Larundel Mental Asylum, Bundoora

Ashley Hall
Site Owner

Sitting on the outer edges of Bundoora, Victoria, the remains of a large and long abandoned mental asylum wait. The old buildings, their shattered windows, boarded entrances and burnt out administration await their demolition to make way for a new housing development. In the late 90's as institutionalised care of psyichiatric patients was being regarded as a thing of the past the Larundel Mental Asylum closed it's doors.

The concept of the Larundel Hospital was developed in 1938 however during it's construction war intervened. For five years the near completed hospital had many uses; a U.S. military hospital, a training depot for the W.A.A.F. and parts of it were used as a R.A.A.F. Hospital. Between 1946 and 1948 it was also used for emergency housing. It was not until 1953, fifteen years after it's conception, that it was finally utilised as a mental hospital. At it's peak the hospital could accomodate around 750 patients.

For the past fifteen odd years since it's closure the abandoned buildings have been a playground for thrill seekers, urban explorers and paranormal investigators. While in the buildings it is said loud bangings on the walls can be heard, odd smells and children/babies crying have also been experienced on occasion.

One legend about the hospital is that a little girl died on the third floor. This girl absolutely adored her music box and even now at times you can hear it's song play within the buildings. Possibly the spirit of the girl lingers on or maybe the hospital itself plays back sounds from times past.

Have you visited this old asylum and maybe experienced the odd, strange, weird or paranormal?

--

Founder, Leader and Owner of The Paranormal Guide

"I am not a sceptic... I just suffer from common sense"

March 14, 2012 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Debbie Williams

Wow Ash...this is the first time I have heard of this intriguing place...lets hope someone has been there..and better still..has a story to tell !!

--

Debbie Williams

Everyone and everything has a story !

Reporter : The Paranormal Guide

March 16, 2012 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kitten of Doom

Apparently the music box was a recording played over a speaker by La Trobe, to scare vandals/junkies away from the area (understandable, as students live on campus there).

I have heard quite a few lovely stories from people who worked or lived at Larundel... it's not all doom and gloom.

I have been there a number of times, and I have never seen or felt anything out of the ordinary.  Most photos that people claim have 'orbs' in them are really just dust spots.

I have a lot of photos on my blog if you are interested.

--

kittenofdoom.com

March 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ashley Hall
Site Owner

Ah yes, don't get me started on orbs lol. Although I don't disbelieve that some could be spirit energies (who am I to judge that) I do believe a majority is dust and sometimes if they are lucky bugs!. I get sent pics by quite a few people who want to know if they have captured a spirit but I tend to politely ignore or change the subject.

I have been to your blog before several times. When I was looking for pictures of Larundel yours came up. I was going to ask if I could use some external shots but for some reason I didn't. Probably got sidetracked at that crucial time.

I find it interesting La Trobe would use that tactic (if they did). I imagine it would have drawn more people there. People are always looking for that thrill :)

--

Founder, Leader and Owner of The Paranormal Guide

"I am not a sceptic... I just suffer from common sense"

March 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

UPI Paranormal

heya im lionel, founder of UPI Paranormal, we have secured an investigation of larundal in the coming months which im super excited about, you can find us on FB if you want to drop in "like" our page and all the video/audio and info from the investigation will be posted there after our investigation, its in late june. if you guys have any legit information or stories on the place id love to hear from you =)

May 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

UPI Paranormal

heya im lionel, founder of UPI Paranormal, we have secured an investigation of larundal in the coming months which im super excited about,  you can find us on FB if you want to drop in "like" our page and all the video/audio and info from the investigation will be posted there after our investigation, its in late june. if you guys have any legit information or stories on the place id love to hear from you =)

May 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tomjohnston

Hi everyone.

Im a film student at Swinburne University and I'm currently in the planning stages of a documentary on the paranormal aspects of Larundel, If you have ever been to Larundel/know of any stories or people i can get in touch with, please reply and i'll get in touch with you.

I have to present my idea pitch next Friday, so If you know anything and could get in touch with me quick that would be good as.

Cheers!

Tom Johnston

August 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.